Friday, January 15, 2010

Finally out of the muck

This past week and a half has been probably the toughest since I started seriously playing poker. After starting the month with a few winning sessions, I couldn't book a win to save my life. It seemed like every session no matter how I started or finished, I would end up down 6 to 8 buyins. I had a 250 dollar downswing, which is the worst of my poker career. I have made more than that on cake this month, but it's still scary having that happen on the site and game that has been my bread and butter. I gave the 9man turbos a try, and though I started off well, I just couldnt get anything going.

Being fed up with stars, I decided to signup with Full Tilt and clear a deposit bonus. While I started decent, I quickly had a bad downswing there. I dropped 160 bucks playing 6 man super turbos and 9 man turbos. Finally two days ago things started turning around. I got back to even on tilt and am now up about 100 on the site. I've also booked wins my last two sessions on Stars. The DONs are still beatable, but I really think I need to start expanding into multitable SNGs, MTTs and cash.

The downswing did away with my exercise and nutrition routine. I think that lead to a snowballing effect and might have been how it lasted as long as it did. I'm starting to get back on track and hopefully can keep it up even if I start running bad again.

The last week has made me take a serious look at my poker career. I was honestly starting to think that I would never win again and that the past 8 years learning poker had been a waste. I now realize that I need to put a lot more work into my game. I need to start reviewing sessions and hands. I need to purchase HEM or Pokertracker and probably also SNG Wiz. And most importantly, I need to expand my game past just DONs because this format seems to be getting solved by the average player and probably will continue to become less profitable until not even the rake can be beat.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah just tried to multi. Took about a hr to get 10 tournaments going so its a little slow on traffic. Its a shame the games seem alot easier even the turbos/

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 and 4 so far on the omaha turbos what i did was included it in on my normal sets and set turbo ninja up for 2 searches. I ended up with 15 DoN Holdem and 5 Omahas. I try to stay focused on the holdem, omaha seems to take care of itself. Good Luck
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I might have to throw some of those into the mix. I'm kinda addicted to the superturbos on tilt right now.

    ReplyDelete