Monday, February 1, 2010

Goodbye DoNs; Hello profit (jan profit 1330)

What a month. I started out trying to play enough DoNs to get myself to Platinum Star and eventually SN, and ended it having given up DoNs and playing the majority of my hours on Full Tilt. After getting feed up with break even stretches I told myself I'd played my last DoN and instead started to play the 6 man on Full Tilt. In the two weeks since I've started playing those, I'm up around 400 plus 160 dollars I've cleared of my deposit bonus and another 70 or so from rakeback. I've also played around 80 180 mans on stars in the last week and am up around 130. I finished the month only up a few pennies in the DoNs, but from a deposti bonus I cleared, running as hot as the sun in the FPP sats, and my 4.40 profit, I made around $280 on stars this month. I also made around 420 from cake. Add that together and my profit for the month was right around $1330. Not close to the goal I set for myself to begin this year, but given that the first half of the month was wasted breaking even at the DoNs, I'll take it. A lot of this profit also came from deposit bonuses and those are pretty much all cleared so I'm not gonna be able to do that again.

So my goal for february. I want to completely move up from the 4 dollar super turbos to the 8s. I want to play at least 3k of them and hopefully more. I want to spend at least 2 sundays playing an MTT schedule on stars. I'm gonna set my profit goal at 1750 and my total hours goal at 175. I;m gonna be keeping better track of my hours played this month because hopefully it will be more consistent and I wont be moving back and forth trying new formats like I did last month.

Some parting thoughts about Double or Nothing tournaments. Discovering this format is what first lead me to start making a good profit online. Learning these taught me about ICM, bubble play and wanting to learn them better is what turned me onto two plus two. Looking back, solely focusing on these might have stunted my growth as a player a little bit. My postflop play is pretty weak probably because I havent had to have any for so long. I'm also having to relearn how to accumulate a big stack to win a tournament since this kind of play is counterproductive in DoNs. But despite what a lot of people might say, DoNs are still real poker. I'd be willing to bet that DoN pro grinders could beat almost any format of sng put in front of them. I don't know if the inverse would be true of grinders of other formats being able .to beat DoNs

7 comments:

  1. Nice comeback, only truly inspired players can be dissapointed with there profits. Heres to the upcoming month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last couple months at the DoNs had just been horrible and it was so frustrating breaking even when I used to be making money every weekend. I shipped another 180 man and am running at around 7.5% roi on the 7.60 6 mans. Are you still grinding the DoNs Tom or have you moved to another format?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Still Grinding DoNs..noticed you've done quite a bit of those 180man $4 tourneys. How is that going? and how many are you able to play at a time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was doing like 15 to 18 at a time. I did really well in them. Played 90, won 2 and netted almost 300 bucks. But they were such a grind and take a long time commitment. I'm doing the 6 man super turbos on tilt. I was crushing the 3.8s but am barely beating the 7.5s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah was thinking about switching to some more 6 man turbos myself. Wasnt sure how many i could play at once. No doubt will be less then the 25 im doing on DoN's, but my roi was really good when i use to play those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you used any of those programs that take hand history, load it and help you figure out possible mistakes? Ive been looking all over for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. HEM has something called leakbuster, but I think it works a lot more for cash games.

    HEM and probably pokertracker too, lets you analyze chips one and lost at each level. It also shows you your vpip and pfr etc for each level. Studying that has helped me a little but I knida need a coach to help me review stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete